Making a gift of cryptocurrency to support a Community Foundation charitable giving fund provides a tax-wise opportunity to support the causes you care about.
How to Give
- By donating appreciated cryptocurrency directly to a charitable giving fund at the Community Foundation, you can maximize your support. Because the IRS classifies cryptocurrency as property, you receive a tax deduction for the fair market value of the cryptocurrency, while avoiding capital gains tax.*
- The Community Foundation uses Engiven as a trusted partner to facilitate cryptocurrency donations. Engiven accepts nearly 100 types of cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin and Ethereum.
Benefits of Making a Gift of Cryptocurrency
- Eligible for a charitable tax deduction for the value of the cryptocurrency at the time of the gift.*
- Avoid capital gains taxes on cryptocurrency investments held long-term by donating cryptocurrency directly.
- You may qualify for the Endow Iowa Tax Credit, a 25% state tax credit.
- Support the causes you care about with the cryptocurrency you already own.
*Because cryptocurrency is classified as property, additional documentation, including an appraisal, may be required before the donation can be completed. Talk with your tax professional to learn more.