Grants for Nonprofit Organizations
The Community Foundation has two competitive grant programs made possible by contributions to the Better Together Fund: Leadership Grants and Capacity Building Grants. Watch a recorded webinar outlining these two programs.
Applications for these grant programs are available online with a login to Manage My Grants. To obtain a user name and password please contact the Community Foundation by email or at 515-447-4209.
The Community Foundation plays a key role in providing significant funding to projects that strengthen Greater Des Moines by proactively addressing our community’s most pressing needs and promising opportunities. This grant program seeks to create tidal waves of impact around community issues. Review the Grantmaking Priorities. Note that our Leadership Grant program has shifted Spring and Fall 2020 cycles to focus tidal wave impact around needs identified in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Leadership Grant Details
In recognition of the emerging challenges impacting every facet of our community, we have pivoted our leadership grant awards towards projects supporting the work of local nonprofits to serve the most vulnerable in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- An initial and immediate Leadership Grant award of $100,000 to seed the community’s Disaster Recovery Fund.
- Infusion of $100,000 to further support the work of the Disaster Recovery Fund in wake of COVID-19.
- Expanded support for Capacity Building through $95,000 in funding to a Nonprofit Adaptation Grant program designed to assist with service delivery shifts, and business and financial planning needs of local organizations.
- Development of and $200,000 in funding toward a Strategic Collaboration Grant program.
We remain committed to our role as a community leader and will continue to monitor and evolve grantmaking to continue to create tidal waves of change in Greater Des Moines. We will share further program updates with grantees as they become available.
Strategic Collaboration Grants
Strategic Collaboration Grants will focus on projects that significantly improve the Greater Des Moines community and honor the critical role the nonprofit sector plays in Central Iowa’s recovery and long-term resiliency in the wake of COVID-19.
Strategic Collaboration Grant Details & Cycle:
- Review Strategic Collaboration Grant Guidelines and Instructions.
- Requests will be accepted on a rolling basis until funding is depleted. Decisions will be communicated during the following timeframes: week of August 3, week of September 7, week of October 5 and week of November 2.
- Organizations interested in this grant program are strongly encouraged to contact Brianne Sanchez, Director of Nonprofit Relations, to discuss the proposal.
Capacity Building Grants
Capacity Building Grants seek to strengthen an organization’s effectiveness. We provide funding for strategic initiatives in areas related to governance or management and coalition development/support around a community issue or priority.
Capacity Building Grant Details & Cycle:
Organizations interested in this grant program are strongly encouraged to contact Brianne Sanchez, Director of Nonprofit Relations, to discuss the proposal.