Community Foundation Celebrates Record-Breaking Year
Feb. 14, 2018
The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines celebrated a successful 2017 with over $42.5 million in grants made to more than 2,100 charitable causes from funds at the Community Foundation. This tremendous success ensures charitable support of the community and state for generations to come.
· Over $76.4 million in gifts were made by donors to Community Foundation funds in 2017.
· Collectively, over $42.5 million in grants were made in 2017 from charitable funds held at the Community Foundation and the Community Foundation’s Better Together Fund.
· The Community Foundation’s assets under administration grew to over $542 million as of December 31, 2017.
· 175 new charitable funds were established with the Community Foundation for a total of 1,808 funds under administration.
· The Community Foundation invested $600,000 in initiatives and opportunities strengthening Greater Des Moines through six Leadership Grants supported by the Community Foundation’s Better Together Fund. Initiatives supported in 2017 include:
- 6th Avenue Corridor
- Food Bank of Iowa – Fighting Hunger, Feeding Hope Campaign
- Iowa Homeless Youth Centers – Rooftop Garden Project
- The Director’s Council – One Economy
- Kids First Law Center – Launch of Des Moines Office
- Des Moines Heritage Trust – 1909 Des Moines Union Depot Renovation
“Thanks to the generosity of our community, we are fulfilling our mission to promote charitable giving, connect donors with causes they care about and provide leadership on important community issues,” says Kristi Knous, Community Foundation president. “The over $76.4 million invested in charitable funds at the Community Foundation in 2017 is a testament to the charitable spirit of Iowans and their ongoing commitment to improving quality of life in our state. Even more inspiring is the over $42.5 million in grants made from charitable funds at the Community Foundation in 2017. We are privileged to assist donors in making meaningful investments in the causes they care about.”
“Investments in the Community Foundation are investments in the continued success of our community,” says Steve Lacy, board chair. “This makes the successes of the organization in 2017 all the more significant. Each gift and grant represents an investment in critical issues, initiatives and needs for generations to come.”
According to Knous, “While support of the Community Foundation in 2017 is deserving of celebration, it is the stories of impact each dollar gifted or granted represents that paints the full picture of our work. Thank you to the donors and communities we serve for allowing us to be a partner in your charitable giving story. Through collaboration quality of life is improving; we are truly better together.”