Donors may establish scholarship funds to benefit students of a particular school, geographic region, educational discipline, gender or other designation.
You may add to your scholarship fund at anytime and so can others who share your interests in the community.
Advantages of establishing a scholarship fund
- Personal: Establish a scholarship fund in honor or in memory of a loved one or name it to recognize your family, business or a particular interest.
- Enduring: You can make a permanent impact on the lives of recipients, who in turn are likely to continue the tradition of helping others.
- Flexible: Provide a scholarship now or plan a gift from your estate. The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines can accept donations of almost any asset including cash, stock and real estate.
- Efficient: You benefit from the most advantageous tax treatment for a charitable gift, and the Community Foundation handles the administrative details.
- Accountable: You can access information about your fund anytime online through Manage My Fund, and you will receive quarterly statements that show all activity in your fund.
Who should establish a scholarship fund?
- A scholarship fund is ideal for individuals, families, businesses and groups who:
- Value education.
- Want to give others an opportunity to pursue their dreams.
- Want to establish a legacy to honor or remember someone.
- The minimum amount required to establish a scholarship fund is $50,000. Additionally, scholarship funds require an ongoing minimum balance of $50,000.
- The ability to combine funds into professionally managed portfolios allows greater diversification of investments and access to investment vehicles that would not be possible for individual funds.
The Community Foundation is about more than transactions; we are about transformation. While fees collected for funds held at the Community Foundation support the processing of grant checks, accepting and acknowledging donations, completing annual audits and reporting; our fees also make you part of the change we enable in the communities we serve. It's the community convenings, the strategic grantmaking, the donor-connections, the facilitated dialogues, the nonprofit trainings and the promotion of charitable giving that ultimately transforms the communities we call home. Thank you for joining us to improve quality of life in your community. We're simply better together.
Click here to view the Community Foundation's administrative fee structure.
- Discuss a scholarship fund with us. We encourage you to partner with an appropriate school, college or university to create guidelines for the selection process and determine recipients.
- We will customize a fund agreement for you.
- Make an initial contribution.
- Donors who establish or give to Endow Iowa qualified funds are eligible to receive a 25% Endow Iowa Tax Credit in addition to normal federal charitable income tax deductions.