Designated funds are established by a donor to benefit a specific organization and maintain assets that help ensure the sustainability of the organization. Annual distributions are made to chosen organizations, creating a stable income stream.
Establishing a designated fund is
- Personal: Establish a designed fund in honor or in memory of a loved one or name it to recognize your family.
- Enduring: Make a continual impact on the charity of your choice, allowing it to continue its mission and contribute to the community.
- Flexible: Add to the fund at any time. The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines can accept donations of almost any asset including cash, stock and real estate.
- Efficient: You benefit from the most advantageous tax treatment for a charitable gift, and the Community Foundation handles the administrative details.
Who should establish a designated fund?
A designated fund is ideal for families, individuals, and groups who:
- Are dedicated to supporting a specific charity.
- Are confident they want to continue their support in perpetuity.
- Want to make a long-term impact on the charities that are most important to them.
- A designated fund can be established in any amount.
- The ability to combine funds into professionally managed portfolios allows greater diversification of investments and access to investment vehicles that would not be possible for individual funds.
The Community Foundation is about more than transactions; we are about transformation. While fees collected for funds held at the Community Foundation support the processing of grant checks, accepting and acknowledging donations, completing annual audits and reporting; our fees also make you part of the change we enable in the communities we serve. It's the community convenings, the strategic grantmaking, the donor-connections, the facilitated dialogues, the nonprofit trainings and the promotion of charitable giving that ultimately transforms the communities we call home. Thank you for joining us to improve quality of life in your community. We're simply better together.
Click here to view the Community Foundation's administrative fee structure.
- Discuss designated funds with us.
- We will customize a fund agreement for you.
- Make an initial contribution.
- Donors who establish or give to Endow Iowa qualified funds are eligible to receive a 25% Endow Iowa Tax Credit in addition to normal federal charitable income tax deductions.