Committee Advised Funds
Committee advised funds are established by groups who wish to make grants to the charities of their choice. The committee identifies the charitable causes it wishes to support and collectively determines where the funds will be directed. Grants are distributed from fund income, principal or a combination of the two.
Establishing a committee advised fund is
- Distinct: You can establish a committee advised fund in the name of your group or organization.
- Enduring: Members of your organization will make grants from your fund now and in the future.
- Flexible: Add to the fund at any time. The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines can accept donations of almost any asset including cash, stock and real estate.
- Efficient: Your group benefits from the most advantageous tax treatment for a charitable gift, and the Community Foundation handles the administrative details.
Who should establish a committee advised fund?
A committee advised fund is ideal for groups who:
- Want to establish a spirit of giving within their organization and allow future members to continue granting to charities the group supports.
- Are willing to work together to determine the causes their organization wishes to support.
- Want to make a long-term impact on the charities that are most important to them.
- Many businesses establish committee advised funds to facilitate corporate giving.
- A committee advised fund can be established in any amount.
- The ability to combine funds into professionally managed portfolios allows greater diversification of investments and access to investment vehicles that would not be possible for individual funds.
The Community Foundation is about more than transactions; we are about transformation. While fees collected for funds held at the Community Foundation support the processing of grant checks, accepting and acknowledging donations, completing annual audits and reporting; our fees also make you part of the change we enable in the communities we serve. It's the community convenings, the strategic grantmaking, the donor-connections, the facilitated dialogues, the nonprofit trainings and the promotion of charitable giving that ultimately transforms the communities we call home. Thank you for joining us to improve quality of life in your community. We're simply better together.
Click here to view the Community Foundation's administrative fee structure.
- Discuss a committee advised fund with us.
- The Community Foundation will customize a fund agreement for you.
- Make an initial contribution.
- Donors who establish or give to Endow Iowa qualified funds are eligible to receive a 25% Endow Iowa Tax Credit in addition to normal federal charitable income tax deductions.