Community Foundation Seeks a Nonprofit Accounting Services Accountant
May. 12, 2021
Nonprofit Accounting Services Accountant
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The primary responsibility of the Nonprofit Accounting Services Accountant is to provide professional-level support to the Nonprofit Accounting Service (NAS) Program and clients. The Accountant is responsible for maintaining, monitoring and reporting financial and accounting information in adherence to Community Foundation and NAS client policies and procedures.
Adaptability/Flexibility |Technical Ability |Relationship Building/Communication | Attention to Detail/Accuracy | Decision Making/Judgement
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain accounting records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Manage all accounting functions to be accurate, timely and in accordance with internal controls
- Provide back up in absence of other finance staff; needs to be familiar with general accounting functions
- Assist with maintenance of iPhi, finance databases and department filing systems; assists with departmental filing and year-end file rotation to archive area
- Assist CFAO and/or VP of Finance/Controller as requested
- Capture time reports for finance department
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist with onboarding of new clients
- Coordinate and manage relationships with clients
- Establish and maintain clients’ charts of accounts
- Ensure client agreements are kept current
- Process accounts payable (due diligence, approval verification, entry and check preparation)
- Process daily deposits (enter donor information, verify accuracy of information, and post transactions)
- Review and prepare all financial transactions and reports for assigned clients
- Prepare and review all payroll transactions and reports, including tax filings and requirements
- Perform bank, investment and brokerage account reconciliations
- Perform month-end account reconciliations to ensure general ledger accuracy
- Prepare and ensure accuracy of monthly financial statements
- Peer review financial statements
- Discuss year-end procedures with clients and provide guidance for year-end accruals and entries
- Perform and oversee all year-end procedures to include general maintenance of general ledger, year-end adjusting journal entries, accruals, W-2s, 1099s, etc.
- Review year-end account reconciliations to ensure general ledger accuracy
- Prepare for and assist in the annual tax and audit activities of clients
High attention to detail; analytical; mature judgment; high integrity; approachable; ability to understand complex issues and challenges; nonprofit knowledge; experience working with diverse groups of people; well-organized self-starter; resourceful; motivated; adaptable; good oral and written communications skills; ability to multi-task; good interpersonal and customer service skills; strong computer skills and ability to learn specialized software. Ability to effectively present information to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, and three or more years of increasing responsibility in full-charge general accounting financial reporting or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of fund and non-profit accounting preferred. Proven ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously and work both independently and in a team environment.
Interested applicants should submit their resume, cover letter, salary requirements and three references to Barb Hobson. We encourage anyone considering the position to apply. The Community Foundation is committed to pay equity and provides a comprehensive compensation package which includes annual salary and benefits benchmarking. Salary range will be shared with candidates prior to the interview process, or upon inquiry. Initial applications will be accepted until the appropriate candidate is identified.